Monday, December 8, 2008 (9 weeks, 1 day)So for those of you who have not had children yet, or maybe it has been a while, the first trip to the doctor can be quite an overwhelming experience. I did okay with the family history and lifestyle questions, but when I was almost at the end of my 1/4 inch packet of forms I reached a question I wasn't prepared to answer.
Before me was a disclaimer form from the Health Department explaining that Cystic Fibrosis (CF) was the most common genetic disorder in the caucasian population and 1/29 caucasians are carriers of a genetic mutation causing the disease. It also said that all pregnant women are suggested to be screened for these mutations. Well, normally when a medical test is suggested I say "OK, great"... I get tested for STDs and HIV every year even though I know I don't have them... why not this? So I checked the box, and signed the bottom and didn't think about it again...
...until the phone rang. I was in Pittsburgh on a business trip and the nurse called to share my test results (I swear they ran everything under the sun!). I could tell from her voice it was not good, so I excused myself to the hallway for some privacy. Then she hit me... I am a carrier of Cystic Fibrosis. I am one of only 10 million Americans with a CF mutation. I felt all kinds of emotions at this point - fear, worry, guilt - and then I had to call Chad. I could tell he was worried because he had no idea, like most, what Cystic Fibrosis even is!
(for more info visit http://www.cff.org/)
Chad had to be tested now to see if he was a carrier too, so over the next few weeks we waited. We chose not to tell anyone until we knew all of the facts (why worry everyone), so we were alone, together, working through it. We went through a whole journey of emotions... we prayed every night that our baby would be okay... and after a few days God answered us both in separate ways. To Chad He said "Why are you still praying about this? It is already taken care of." and to me He said "Why did you get tested in the first place? Do you not trust me?"
So long story short... today our prayers were answered. No CF mutations were found in Chad's blood, so our baby will not have the disease. Reflecting back, I shouldn't have gotten tested in the first place... the outcome is the same either way. We will love and care for this baby no matter what.
1 comment:
Glad it all turned out ok!
Post a Comment